Friday, August 16, 2019

Friday

Last night I had a French class with a teacher that I knew was a fast talker. She's not the same fast talker that I mentioned a few days ago, though; she's a different one. Anyway, I thought it might be kinda fun to video just a little snippet of the class to show you where I'm at right now as far as my ability to comprehend the language. I feel comfortable with it, and I'm really happy about that!

I'm not going to translate everything, because it's not that interesting. It's my teacher explaining the difference between two of the future tenses. I'll just touch on a couple points:

1. At the beginning of the video she tells me to read, but I don't know if she wants me to read the entire page or just the stuff at the top, so I say, "Dans le box bleu?" (In the blue box?) This is a little weird because, without even realizing it, I tossed an English word in the middle. Why did I do that? I even know the French word for "box." (It's "boîte.") Odd.

I've actually been doing that more and more lately without meaning to, but usually it's the other way around. I'll be saying something in English and a French word or phrase comes to mind before the English one. For instance, the other day I was talking to one of Baylee's friends about her resumé (She wanted me to take a look at it and proofread it), and I had to think for a second to recall the word "hyphen." All I could remember at first was the French equivalent, "trait d'union."

2. The part in the middle of the video where I speak is just me following her instructions and reading the page.

3. What I really want to show you is the part after I finish reading. My teacher starts talking then, and I'm proud of the fact that I can follow along, even though she's not pulling any punches with her speed.

PS: If you're wondering why none of the students are choosing to be on video, it's because...well...you can mess around more if no one can see you. Like you can play video games on your phone if things get a little boring.

PPS: I often do turn my video on, but if none of the other students are doing it then I won't, either.


Oh, yeah, I almost forgot! Week 2 of the diet is done, and here are the results:


No comments: